7600 Northwest Barry Road, Kansas City, MO 64153
Some things to think about
I wanted to share with you some thoughts from Richard Rohr in a recent daily meditation.
Contemplation As an Alternative Mind
The ability to stand back and calmly observe our inner dramas, without rushing to judgment, is foundational for spiritual seeing. It is the primary form of “dying to the self” that Jesus lived personally and the Buddha taught experientially. The growing consensus is that, whatever you call it, such calm, egoless seeing is invariably characteristic of people at the highest levels of doing and loving in all cultures and religions. They are the ones we call sages or wise women or holy men. They see like the mystics see. Many of us call it the contemplative mind, Paul calls it “the mind of Christ” (1 Corinthians 2:10-16), but have no doubt it is an alternative consciousness to our ordinary calculating mind.
Now do not let the word “mystic” scare you. It simply means one who has moved from mere belief systems or belonging systems to actual inner experience. All spiritual traditions agree that such a movement is possible, desirable, and available to everyone. In fact, Jesus seems to say that this is the whole point! (See, for example, John 10:19-38.)
Adapted from The Naked Now: Learning to See as the Mystics See, pp. 30, 32-33
See also Everything Belongs: The Gift of Contemplative Prayer, which develops the difference between the contemplative mind and the calculative mind.
What do you think?
Thanks to everyone who commented on last week’s blog on the Pine Ridge Presbyterian Church Facebook page.
- About Us
- Get Involved
- Christian Ed
- Pastor's Blog
- Deuteronomy 26:1 First Fruits and Tithes
- God is Everywhere
- JAMES 1:17-27
- James 2:12-17
- James 4:13-16
- James 5:13-16
- John 20:19-23, Jesus’ first appearance to the gathered disciples
- Matthew 2:1-12, Jewish Opposition and Gentile Worship
- My Prayer for the Church
- NRSV ACTS 8:14-17/NRSV LUKE 3:21-22, THE BAPTISM OF JESUS
- NRSV John 14:8-17, 25-27
- NRSV Luke 2:41-52, The Boy Jesus in the Temple
- NRSV Psalm 118:14-29, This is the day on which the Lord has acted
- NRSV Psalm 127:1-5 Unless the Lord Builds the House
- NRSV Psalm 16:1-11
- NRSV Revelation 21:1 The new heaven and the new earth
- NSRV Luke 21:25-28, The Coming of the Son of Man Foretold
- Psalm 148:1-14, Let them praise the name of the Lord
- Psalm 63:1-11, Your love is better than life
- Purple is the color of Advent
- Some things to think about
- Song of Songs 2:8-13
- THE SYROPHOENICIAN WOMAN
- The Art of Letting Go
- The Welcoming Prayer
- The Whole Armor of God
- Third Sunday of Advent
- Who is Doing the Praying?
- Corinthians 13:1 The Gift of Love